Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Summer Breeze, Makes Me Feel Fine

I’m writing out on my deck in the cool, foggy air of a Maine summer. God, I feel content. I spend more time alone now than I did in New York, but somehow I feel less lonely. I think I just love being near the ocean. All the sounds and smells make me feel like I’m in the right place.

N is moving up to Portland in two short months. (Apologies to anyone who hasn’t heard this from me in person.) It will be such a change to live with someone for the first time in my adult life—I’ve been living on my own or with roommates for nearly 15 years. I’m sure there will be an adjustment period. For one thing, how do women carry out their beauty routines when they live with a guy who’s not their husband (i.e., not pledged to stick with them no matter what)? Can I wear my raw Hawaiian sugar cane mask to bed, or will N start to resent the sweet smell on the pillow cases? Can I leave the dishes in the sink for days on end? What about those times when I spend 25 minutes in the bathroom with my head swathed in Saran wrap while I try to “blend away the grays”? Speaking of the bathroom….okay, I won’t even go there, but I mean, am I going to end up more constipated than I already am?

I’m sure we’ll work all these things out. More importantly, what will happen when I have everything I want? The ocean, an adoring and adorable boyfriend, a fulfilling job, no more weekends alone? I almost feel guilty about it ahead of time.

2 comments:

Norberto said...

As someone who lives with his not-100% official wife, yeah, I see the worst of crazy shit women do to themselves in the name of "beauty" and "youth". Two truths - he WILL see this weirdness and will accept it for what it is. And more importantly, save the REALLY freaky stuff fro when he's asleep/away at work/out riding his bike. He he he.

More importantly, when you live with someone, you gain the comfort of not having to have your game-face on whenever your with them. It's more intimate, like a housemate but one you care what they think at all times.

mrsgreen said...

I am sooo happy for you and N. I'm glad you two will be cohabitating, and am only sorry we missed seeing you in NYC. Things are crazy busy here, as we will definitely be moving in October or November - no doubt about it. We're going to the other Portland and Seattle to scout out a new city to live in!