Thursday, September 11, 2008

Prolonged Absence

Wow. I haven't written in two months?? Really? 


Okay, since I tend to put off blogging  when I don't think I have the energy to write anything substantial, from now on I'm just going to log on and blog whatever is on my mind, without worrying about whether it makes a full blog post or not. How's that for a deal?

Today's thought:
On being a mom who works and takes her child to daycare:
I miss riding my bike through town and stopping at the local coffee shop for a Jamaican Me Crazy to go. It's harder being green when you're a working parent, I think. The other day, I drove my child to Falmouth, and because I was in such a rush and hungry from no breakfast yet not able to think clearly because I hadn't had any coffee, I went to the Dunkin' Donuts drive-through at 9am and got a coffee and some kind of egg white omelet on a panini. In my station wagon. Then  I drove on the highway to get to work. And parked in a big parking lot and took the shuttle bus up to my office. Very un-bohemian and un-environmentally friendly. And a little soul-crushing.

So the other day, I drove Sadie to daycare, then came home, parked the car, and got on my bike and rode to work! It takes about the same amount of time as driving. Then I rode my bike back home, and would have gotten in the car to pick up Sadie, but it just so happens that my sister-in-law offered to drop off Sadie on her way to her parents' house in South Portland (just one of the benefits of having your sis-in-law be the assistant director at your kids' daycare). So I was sort of semi-environmental and hip that day. But really, am I going to do that when it gets colder? When it's raining? No, it'll be highway driving while dunking donuts. 

Speaking of daycare, Sadie loves it! She is like, the hit of the infant room! This little kid Anthony did a dance for her while she sat in her Bumpo! Her teacher Cate says that Sadie just smiles and laughs all day. She even painted on Monday! My heart almost melted when I saw her "painting." I finally understood why mothers have put their kids' artwork up on their refrigerator doors. Sadie's painting was brilliant!

No comments: