Thursday, December 4, 2008

On Having a Baby (Excerpt From an Email I Sent to a Friend in September)

You know, I think about Sadie a lot, and she has changed my life for the better, but contrary to what I expected I don't think about her ALL the time, nor has she become the sole focus of my life. For example, I just bought a sewing machine, and am looking forward to learning how to make things and setting up my sewing space, etc. I just mention this because I thought your life essentially ended when you had children, that you loved them so much and became so wrapped up in them that you had no time to do or even think about anything else. But it's not quite like that after all--it's more like they cast your life with a different shade, or color, but they don't transform it as completely as I would have imagined. Which is a good thing!! And doesn't lessen the love or joy I feel for her and with her.

No comments: