Saturday, February 9, 2008

Prognosis: good

I met yesterday with my diabetes educator. I’ve been checking my blood four times a day for the last 14 days, and logging every meal or snack I’ve eaten during that time. Because I’m a nerd (and work as a data analyst), I even graphed my fluctuating blood levels, and created a color-coded chart that showed when my blood levels were high and the corresponding meal that made them so. To my great relief, my counselor said my diet looked very healthy, and said my blood levels were really pretty good, even those times when they went over the 120 limit. She even suggested that some of the unusually high readings (like those times after eating plain yogurt, oatmeal, and herbal tea for breakfast) might have been caused not by high blood sugar levels, but by residue on my fingertips that the glucose monitor picked up on. Overall, she said I was doing great, and didn’t anticipate any problems with the pregnancy, or suggest that I would need to control my sugar levels with insulin injections. Thank goodness!

No comments: